:: Re: [DNG] without-systemd.org not w…
Author: Peter Duffy
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] without-systemd.org not working
Apologies for following up on my own post - just an afterthought.

When I originally encountered systemd, the word was that it was so
pervasive that it couldn't be removed (obviously, now we know
different ;) )

Given the alleged non-optionality of systemd, I started to wonder about
some kind of an init system wrapper (or even jail) - an abstraction
layer which would sit between the init subsystem and the main system,
and sanitise and homogenise interactions between the two; init systems,
including systemd, could be plugged and unplugged into the top surface
as desired; the abstraction layer would manage commands and responses
(including lying to the init subsystem if the latter tried to do
something dangerous or antisocial).

I know - first reaction is to recoil in horror and disgust at the very
thought (adding another layer of complexity to something which is
already overcomplex). But there's something tantalising about it.