:: Re: [maemo-leste] Grand plan to get…
Author: Pavel Machek
To: Merlijn Wajer
CC: tony, sre, nekit1000, mpartap, martin_rysavy, maemo-leste, Ivaylo Dimitrov, Arthur D.
Subject: Re: [maemo-leste] Grand plan to get make phones... phone (for Motorola Droid 4)
Hi!

> Added Ivaylo and Arthur to CC.

Should I Cc them with droid 4 emails? I assume they are on
maemo-leste@ list?

> Good timing - just finished a lot of work deadlines. Anyway - reply
> inline.

:-).

> > I believe it would be good to get phones working well enough to do calls and SMSes.
> >
> > 1) I can prepare new version of unicsy_demo.
> >
> > 2) I'd like you to package it for Leste, and perhaps ship it in default install for N900.
>
> Ultimately, I think we want to use telepathy for calls and SMS (we
> already have components in place to parse incoming messages from
> telepathy and to store them).

> I would like to try to get something like that going in parallel to your
> efforts. Since it allows us to make a phone UI that will also work with
> SIP, etc. And a SMS UI that will also work for other protocols (anything
> libpurple, or any telepathy plugin: irc, jabber, etc). And we will
> eventually also have osso-abook - full address book and widgets just
> like in Maemo - those also rely on Telepathy.

So... yes, that really should happen in parallel.

Now, I see you want to be similar to Maemo (and it makes some sense)
but I'd really like to see different design, one that treats SMSes as
emails (not like instant messages), so I could read them using mutt and
use imap protocol to access them remotely. I'd like to store my
contacts in plain text (version controlled in git), not in binary
databases.

But that does not mean Telephathy stack can't run in parallel...

> All that said, we don't have it now, so we could package unicsy_demo (we
> had it in ascii for sure, maybe also already in beowulf), but proper
> integration might be tricky: unlocking the phone upon a call, switching
> back to the right mode, sms notifications, etc.

I see proper integration is tricky; but it is not strictly neccessary
for now. Unicsy demo is ... basically meant for testing. It should be
good enough to test phone functionality and battery life, but for full
integration we want something else.

I have created a release 0.5.1:
https://github.com/pavelmachek/unicsy_demo/releases/tag/0.5.1

> But it can be a good starting point for sure.
>
> > => that should make SMS and data usable on N900 (not calls), out of the box.
>
> > 3) I can prepare patched kernel for droid 4, based on 5.7-rc. It will use latest Tony's
> > patches, where available, and my/Tony's old hacks where not. Goal: enough support for
> > calls/SMS/data.
> >
> > 4) I will publish patched ofono, suitable for kernel from step 3.
>
> The current ofono packaged has working phone calls, sms and data. But
> there are problems, some in kernel PM, some perhaps in userspace,
> leading to hangs.

Current ofono is subtly broken, and will not work at all with latest
kernels.

> Keep in mind we'll probably want the PVR stuff in the kernel too, but I
> suppose we can add that on top without lots of problems.

Ok, good.

> > 5) I may need to do unicsy_demo update for d4 mixers, etc.
>
> Ivaylo (now in CC) recently did some work for volume applet on Maemo.
> Perhaps we can just do the right thing with alsa UCM profiles and
> perhaps pulseaudio, so we don't have manually mess around with mixers
> too much (or provide some alsa state that has some enabled)

I'm not sure how Maemo side is supposed to work; so I'll just do it
"by hand" for now. I need to turn mixers into "loud" mode for ringing,
then "in-call" mode for actual call, then probably back to loud for
standby...

> > 6) I'd like you to package 3), 4) and 5) for Leste.
>
> Sure. We have a -devel repository where we can do all of this without
> much trouble.

Ok.

> > => that should make calls and SMSes usable on Droid 4 (data only with gross hacks).
>
> For data, I want to use libicd-network-ofono -> I think adding data
> support should only be a few days of work, and I've been wanting to do
> this for a while already. I'll just go and do this ASAP. The
> provisioning already works, it's really just IP assignment and proxy
> setup (if provided).

Ok.

> We can surely try. The packaging parts on Leste side are not hard, but
> getting modem and ofono to behave (Tony got further as well with some
> dts change, but that one is currently causing problems for me) sounds
> like the big things.

I believe we are very close to getting them to behave. Cross your
fingers for me :-).

> Also, have you gotten anything but the speakerphone to work, for call
> audio? I have not been able to get the Headphones or normal Earspeaker
> to work.

Yes, normal earspeaker works for me (kernel
127a82e23c23c6d1ef93bd978b99ce8cc0030b97; I may push it somewhere but
it contains >100 unrelated patches). I never tested headphones. Audio
code was rewritten in the meantime,

> Exciting.

Exciting parts are over, now it should become boring :-).

Best regards,
                                    Pavel