:: Re: [DNG] ASCII 2.1 to Beowulf: Rep…
Author: fsmithred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ASCII 2.1 to Beowulf: Report + questions
On 3/22/20 12:53 PM, al3xu5 / dotcommon wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Yesterday I dist-upgrade ASCII 2.1 (MATE DM) to Beowulf, following [1].

> Now I have:
> ~~~
> $ uname -a
> Linux computer0 4.6.0-0.bpo.1-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 4.6.4-1~bpo8+1
> (2016-08-11) x86_64 GNU/Linux

You can do one of two things to get the beowulf kernel - either install
linux-image-amd64, which is a metapackage that will always install the
latest available kernel, or you can install the kernel by the full package
name, currently linux-image-4.19.0-8-amd64.

If you do the latter, stay alert to when -9 comes out. You won't get it
automatically.

> 2. Having upower installed, I have downgraded upower packages as suggested in
> [1], to avoid problems like bug#394 [2] which seems mainly related to cinnamon.
> But I do not have cinnamon... So what I should do? Downgrade or not? If not,
> how to disable downgrading of those packages?

Take the downgrade. It's not really a downgrade; it's an upgrade to a
lower-numbered version. (We no longer need to fork upower.)

That's all I've got. Hope it helps.

fsmithred