:: Re: [DNG] Anyone installed a jitsi …
Author: wirelessduck
To: terryc, dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Anyone installed a jitsi server on Devuan?

> On 23 Mar 2020, at 10:19, terryc <terryc@???> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 17:55:25 -0400
> Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Has anyone installed a jitsi server on Devuan? I need to maintain a
>> jitsi server in these days of virtual life.
>
> Err, yes, it "installed on the system" and nmap now lists a number of
> extra services;
>
> 5222/tcp open xmpp-client
> 5269/tcp open xmpp-server
> 5280/tcp open xmpp-bosh
> 8888/tcp open sun-answerbook
>
> But I have progressed no further then that as there doesn't appear to
> be any manuals.
>
> Totally under whelmed when I ran the Jitsi client and it only allows you
> to sign up to existing commercial services, plus irq.
>
> I'm looking for something to provide a local server and avoid the data
> and privacy pirates.
>
> Good Luck.

The github page at https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet has some documentation.

I can see quick-install guide for debian-based systems, tutorial video, and manual install instructions.

Just tested installing on Devuan Beowulf now and seemed to go fine, once I worked out that you shouldn’t use “localhost” for the jitsi-meet domain when it asks in debconf, since that is apparently already taken in the existing config somewhere. You just need to assign a separate domain and add that to /etc/hosts as specified in the quick-install guide.

The jitsi meet iOS app allows me to specify a custom jitsi-meet server URL but I haven’t done enough setup to test that out.

—Tom