:: Re: [DNG] ASCII 2.1 to Beowulf: Rep…
Author: Mark Hindley
To: al3xu5 / dotcommon
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ASCII 2.1 to Beowulf: Report + questions
On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 05:53:17PM +0100, al3xu5 / dotcommon wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Yesterday I dist-upgrade ASCII 2.1 (MATE DM) to Beowulf, following [1].
>
> Overall, the upgrade appears to have gone well; the process has completed and
> the system is fully functional. But there are some details (maybe minor issues)
> I would like to report, also with some questions.
>
> Now I have:
> ~~~
> $ uname -a
> Linux computer0 4.6.0-0.bpo.1-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 4.6.4-1~bpo8+1
> (2016-08-11) x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> $ lsb_release -a
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID:    Debian
> Release:    3
> Codename:    beowulf
> ~~~

> 1- There is one aspect of the upgrade that I don't think is in place, and that
> I would like to point out: elogind, libelogind0, libpam-elogind have not been
> upgraded; indeed these packages are marked as 'upgradable'. How should I manage
> this situation?

To help us work out why, what does `apt policy libsystemd0 libelogind0 elogind
libpam-elogind' produce?

Does `apt install libpam-elogind' fix it?

> 2. Having upower installed, I have downgraded upower packages as suggested in
> [1], to avoid problems like bug#394 [2] which seems mainly related to cinnamon.
> But I do not have cinnamon... So what I should do? Downgrade or not? If not,
> how to disable downgrading of those packages?

It applies to upower in general. #394 is just an example. If you don't want the
new packages, do nothing and apt will not install them.

> 3. Programs with a graphic display started complaining about the warning
> "Couldn't register with accessibility bus: ..." [3][4]. Putting 'export
> NO_AT_BRIDGE=1' in /etc/environment seems to have blocked the alerts. I don't
> know if it's a real solution or just a workaround that doesn't solve the
> underlying problem.

They are harmless. But installing at-spi2-core ought to make them disappear.

I will leave teh MATE and theme questions to others with more expertise!

Mark