:: Re: [Bricolabs] On waste...
Author: UKE
To: Felipe Schmidt Fonseca
CC: Bricolabs
Subject: Re: [Bricolabs] On waste...
Efe,

I am not helping a lot as sewage is clearly not part of your research,
but give me one more try as I might tap into systematic crisis here.

It would be a novel thing starting to thinking about it in the terms of
solid waste, as it originally really is, formed as such in our bodies.
When composted by simple, clean and easy technology it doesn't smell, as
the smell and toxins are developed in the process of mixing with urine,
water, with lack of air/oxygen, and adding on top of that lots of other
waist water from kitchen, shower, washing machine... It just calls for
disasters.... Its perfect compound for toxins, bacteria and bed smell.

I remember part of Zagreb where my wife lived before, summers get really
smelly, and its not shit that smells bad, but urine. Anyhow, this smell
is a trigger to know somethings going bad out there, to keep away as one
might get poisoned or catch a disease. Imagine living at heavily
populated place, buildings with 8 and more layers of families producing
everyday. Imagine climate change brings some heavy rains, sometimes,
flooding happens, and all sewage goes at street level (Parasite movie
comes to mind with one scene of toilet splashing).

Turning to healthier themes, here is my DIY composting toilet

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gentlejunk/33455645281/in/datetaken/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gentlejunk/33201674360/in/datetaken/

Solid and liquid don't mix, no bad smell, and there is a lots of organic
fertilizer for my garden. I sprinkle toilet with dry leaves, that i
collect , so I don't burn it, as its usually done. I can easily imagine
a collecting system of vehicles that unload my collected stash of half
compost and on Thursdays carry it to local very simple and inexpensive
composting plant situated near the gardens/fields. That way, in the
cities, toxic mix doesn't end up in the sea (that will soon rise so we
are going to be in our own shit literally), or it doesn't end up under
the asphalt as in ingenuous Zagreb case, or some other smart engineering
way.

Of course, I am talking about the process where one has to deal with
ones own shit a bit, cant outsource it. Here, I would like to point out
that systematically its the same as dealing with computer waste (or
other technological waste): if you have the whole process in your hands,
you get to know its there, and have to deal with it. If by system its
far form the eye, its far from knowledge, someone else deals with it,
who cares...

Now, interesting thing is, when I am composting my shit, my laptop lasts
longer. Nothing too mysterious here, I am dealing with my shit ,among
other things, so don't have too much time to use laptop, so with less
use, it lasts longer. At the same time, I don't have to work too much
with my laptop to earn money and outsource my shit. But, nothing new here.

To cut the long story short, to deal with the solid waste in cities is
to deal with the cities (and accompanying lifestayle), but I guess that
would be too radical to propose in PHD. In my opinion all other changes
are cosmetic. Like dealing with corona virus with the newspaper hype.
So, lets cut the roots, disassemble the civilization of the city. Or
lets not worry about it, as its happening by itself already.

Sincerely,

Kruno