:: Re: [DNG] fifth freedom
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] fifth freedom
Le 11/12/2019 à 05:29, freemedia via Dng a écrit :
> free software force and golinux have expressed interest in a revised version of the four freedoms, which i was initially very shy about the idea of. for some time ive proposed as an alternative a list of companion qualities or "pillars" which i havent completely abandoned yet.
>
> still, while seeking what these pillars would be, someone stepped up with a really ideal fifth freedom, which im now taking on a tour of sorts, consider this a request for comments:
>
> The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives (freedom 4).
>
> for comparison, the existing four freedoms are:
>
> The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0).
> The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
> The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help others (freedom 2).
> The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

    I agree that the freedom to NOT run a piece of software is
essential, and the a sensible expression of  why Devuan exists.

    Let me just kindly ask you to restrict the habit of numbering
things starting from 0 to programming in C (and derived languages). In
these languages it is a trick to map array indexes to address
arithmetic; out of this scope it makes no sense.

    Thanks.

            Didier