:: Re: [DNG] fifth freedom
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] fifth freedom
On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 01:29:27 +1000, onefang wrote in message
<20191211152927.7dnv67o7b554jf5f@true>:

> On 2019-12-11 05:29:21, freemedia via Dng wrote:
> > free software force and golinux have expressed interest in a
> > revised version of the four freedoms, which i was initially very
> > shy about the idea of. for some time ive proposed as an alternative
> > a list of companion qualities or "pillars" which i havent
> > completely abandoned yet.
> >
> > still, while seeking what these pillars would be, someone stepped
> > up with a really ideal fifth freedom, which im now taking on a tour
> > of sorts, consider this a request for comments:
> >
> > The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor
> > lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and
> > minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced
> > with a user’s preferred alternatives (freedom 4).
> >
> > for comparison, the existing four freedoms are:
> >
> > The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose
> > (freedom 0). The freedom to study how the program works, and change
> > it so it does your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the
> > source code is a precondition for this. The freedom to redistribute
> > copies so you can help others (freedom 2). The freedom to
> > distribute copies of your modified versions to others (freedom 3).
> > By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit
> > from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for
> > this.
>
> I had recently added what I call freedom -1 to the licence of
> apt-panopticon. 'the author specifically grants themselves the
> freedom to not be infected by the viral licence clauses of any code
> this source code "links" to. It's my code, I choose my licence
> terms, no one else does.'

..the freedom from having your power grid utility force
a new power meter with pirated software on it, on you?

..I requested said software license(s) documents and any GPL etc source
where relevant to secure my own GPL compliance, and now the power grid
utility refuses to document their alleged lawful "not-pirated" software
in their old and new power meters, and they refuse to swap out my power
meter, aaand, in so doing, they deny me my lawful right to sell my 24kW
of power onto the free EEA/EU power market.
Court proceding due next week, Wed Dec 18 11:30:00 CET 2019.

> Yes there is a GPL bit included, yes I do distribute that bit with my
> modifications in source code form in the same places I distribute
> apt-panopticon. I also point out in the README of that bit, where to
> get the original, and where to get my modified forms. No
> apt-panopticon isn't gonna be GPL, just coz someone else thought that
> I should not have the freedom to choose my own licence.
>
> I even mention the alteratives that I know of in the docs, so that's
> your fifth freedom catered for. I carefully chose the dependencies
> to be stuff and versions that are available in the standard Devuan
> ASCII package repo. Except for the modified GPL bit of code, that
> isn't in Devuan ASCII.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: