:: Re: [DNG] Devuan cannot exist witho…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan cannot exist without the help of Debian
On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 10:55:46 +0100, Denis wrote in message
<20191122095546.fro7htitriq47xsx@reflex>:

> Now please let this success be an account of how important is Init
> Freedom for the large amount of Debian users out there.
>
> Today I write you because there is a reason to be worried that many
> Debian users will be betrayed once more by its leadership.
>
> And today once again I support the vote proposition nr.4 by Ian
> Jackson and urge the elite who has the privilege to steer the future
> of Debian to pay good attention to this choice, considering Ian's
> competent and well informed formulation.
>
> At last, please, do not consider Devuan as an alternative solution
> which will survive any outcome of this vote.
>
> Because I'm sure Devuan will not survive without Debian's help.
>
> Devuan is much, much smaller than Debian in resources, people and
> infrastructure, and despite our efforts were useful to both, the
> Debian project has done very little to help us so far.
>
> If Debian drops the support for any other init system but systemd, I
> believe we won't be able to keep up with the legwork needed to support
> all other init systems. I say this because we do not have a comparable
> amount of people and resources to face the huge amount of work Debian
> will cease to do. Of course quality matters, but not that far.
>
> If the resolution nr.4 proposed by Ian Jackson will not pass,
> Devuan will die.

..https://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2019/11/msg00028.html proposes
a way forward: "maintain all init-scripts in a single package that gets
pulled in with [alternate init systems such as e.g.] sysvinit. Whoever
wants to use and maintain it is free to do so. Initscript could
actually be installed using dpkg triggers or whatever else works."

..if we do it, both for us _and_ them, we control it. ;o)

..and, we have https://devuan.org/get-devuan etc in place: ;o)
"(And at some time we can still move that package into an external
repository....)."

Scenarios always come in sets of three: