:: Re: [DNG] Insane defaults on Raspbe…
Author: Bruce Ferrell
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Insane defaults on Raspberry Pi images - How to fix corruption/dataloss
On 11/11/19 5:06 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Nov 2019 12:53:26 -0800
> tom <tom@???> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 16:55:34 +0100
>> "Dr. Nikolaus Klepp" <dr.klepp@???> wrote:
>>
>>> Anno domini 2019 Fri, 8 Nov 16:36:24 +0100
>>> Joril via Dng scripsit:
>>> Yes.
>> I really don't think data-loss is an acceptable compromise just to
>> reduce wear.
> Lack of a journal doesn't necessarily mean data loss. It just means
> that you might need to run fsck.ext4 on the drive after unmounting.
> Occasionally you do lose data: I think it has to do with crash
> shutdowns twice in a row without an intervening fsck.ext4.
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> November 2019 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
> Troubleshooting Second edition
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr

There are actually a couple of ways around the SD wear issue, even though people seem to dearly LOVE SSDs with the exact same issue;

1.) Use a USB drive.

2.) Somewhat more esoteric, PXE boot and run from an NFS image.

The how-tos for the later seem to avoid talking about how to set up a proper PXE boot environment using ISC DHCP, but I'll crack that nut shortly.

I love PXE and use it to install windows 7, freebsd, VMWare and a whole bunch of Linux distros in my home lab