:: Re: [DNG] Insane defaults on Raspbe…
Author: Adam Borowski
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Insane defaults on Raspberry Pi images - How to fix corruption/dataloss
On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 08:06:26PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> > I really don't think data-loss is an acceptable compromise just to
> > reduce wear.
>
> Lack of a journal doesn't necessarily mean data loss. It just means
> that you might need to run fsck.ext4 on the drive after unmounting.
> Occasionally you do lose data: I think it has to do with crash
> shutdowns twice in a row without an intervening fsck.ext4.

No: it's not just "might need to run fsck". It's data corruption of
unknown parts of the filesystem. Not on a pair of crashes: a single
crash is enough. If the disk was quiescent the damage might be negligible
or non-existant, but in the normal case, I'd be looking at recovery of
newest writes and restore the rest from backups.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ A MAP07 (Dead Simple) raspberry tincture recipe: 0.5l 95% alcohol,
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ 1kg raspberries, 0.4kg sugar; put into a big jar for 1 month.