:: Re: [devuan-dev] [DNG] Migrating fr…
Author: Mark Hindley
To: Daniel Reurich
CC: devuan developers internal list, golinux, Dng
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] [DNG] Migrating from Buster to Beowulf - feedback needed
On Sat, Sep 07, 2019 at 11:04:00AM +1200, Daniel Reurich wrote:
> On 07/09/19 07:30, Mark Hindley wrote:
> But it should use libpam-elogind. Perhaps we need to ban libpam-systemd
> to force the use of libpam-elogind instead. The only thing is we need
> to check if their is a dep version check on libpam-systemd in which case
> we'd also need to set the version for the "Provides: libpam-systemd" also.

I think that is all covered and works fine once the install process is
done. However, see below:

> > So, I am working on a transitional package that could help in devuan to smooth
> > this out and not require the whole GUI to be removed and reinstalled. The basic
> > idea is that the transitional package Provides systemd-sysv and Depends
> > sysvinit-core. Installing it temporarily will satisfy libpam-systemd whilst the
> > system is rebooted without having to uninstall half of the system.
> >
> I don't think a transitional package is required.

I think it is (if you want to avoid removing and then reinstalling many desktop
packages). There is a dependency loop here we have to break.

libpam-systemd depends systemd-sysv. libpam-systemd also depends
systemd. Devuan's libpam-elogind provides libpam-systemd but conflicts with
systemd which must be removed first.

However, to get systemd uninstalled we first have to replace systemd-sysv with
sysvinit-core (leaving systemd installed) and reboot. systemd and elogind
conflict so we cannot use libpam-elogind to replace libpam-systemd *yet*.

This is the point we need a transitional package to temporarily satisfy
libpam-systemd's systemd-sysv dependency whilst the system is rebooted.

After reboot, systemd is no longer PID1 so can be removed and we can then
complete the transition replacing libpam-systemd with libpam-elogind, removing
systemd and installing elogind.

I hope that is clearer.

Best wishes

Mark