:: Re: [maemo-leste] Droid 4 in 5.3-rc…
Author: Merlijn Wajer
To: Tony Lindgren
CC: Pavel Machek, maemo-leste, Ivaylo Dimitrov, Sebastian Reichel
Subject: Re: [maemo-leste] Droid 4 in 5.3-rc1, development boards
Hi,

On 15/07/2019 08:54, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Merlijn Wajer <merlijn@???> [190714 00:48]:
>> On 13/07/2019 21:47, Pavel Machek wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> 5.3-rc1 should be released next week, and it should be interesting
>>> release for Droid 4. AFAICT it should be possible to get video to work
>>> there with minimal changes.
>>
>> Great. Our current Droid4 kernels are based on branches prepared by
>> Tony. If we can follow mainline without patches, that would ultimately
>> be better.
>
> Yeah I'll do v5.2 based branch with the dss backported and with the
> pending modem stuff. I'll be also working more on getting the n_gsm
> modem support upstreamed, I think that's now the only set of pending
> patches :)

Cool, please let me know when you've done that. I'd be glad to get it in
our repo.

> I've been also slowly fixing battery charging and tinkering getting
> agps support working for the modem gps.
>
> Pavel, is the n_gsm serdev stuff now behaving for ofono or do we still
> need some auto termination in the kernel?
>
> I'm still seeing flakeyness uploading the xtra2.bin agps data that I
> need to debug more, but that seems like a separate issue from the
> ofono issue you described earlier.
>
>>> [Someone may want to test it on N900, too. Display on N900 was always
>>> flakey for me, and it does not seem to work now. Very probably
>>> different config will fix that.]
>>
>> I don't think we're ready to switch to DRM yet for the N900, as we would
>> lose the one thing we need to much on all the other devices: 3D
>> acceleration. We'd need PowerVR to work with DRM, and I don't think we
>> have that yet (feel free to correct me if I am wrong).
>>
>>> Now... there is more work to do in Droid4, but it should be mostly
>>> userland and patch merging. Is there some development board, where
>>> work of kernel hacker would be useful?
>>
>> PowerVR would be a big kernel one. People are working on it for Exynos:
>> https://github.com/PabloPL/linux/issues/18 and there's the OpenPVRSGX
>> linux driver group, aiming to do this for all devices:
>> https://github.com/openpvrsgx-devgroup
>>
>> I think they have something working with DRM-ish, but nothing in X,
>> which might work with https://github.com/TexasInstruments/dri3wsegl
>>
>> The droid would ultimately probably also need PowerVR to work in a
>> useful fashion with hildon-desktop.
>
> FYI the powervr kernel driver glue layer just needs to call runtime PM
> hopefully on droid4 to get the powervr initialized. Well I've only briefly
> tested via /sys by changing power from auto to on and then dumping out
> some registers:
>
> # echo on > /sys/devices/platform/44000000.ocp/5601fc00.target-module/power/control
> # rwmem 0x5601fc00
> 0x5601fc00 = 0000000000    # sgx revision register
> # echo auto > /sys/devices/platform/44000000.ocp/5601fc00.target-module/power/control

> The same applies for the other omap variant socs, I'll try to post
> similar dts patches for few other variants soonish.

That would be great. I'm keen to trying to get PowerVR to work on the
Droid4 or Pandaboard ES (figured it was similar to the droid4 but easier
to play with, so got that board a while ago too), but I'm also trying to
some userspace written...

Should the revision register be zeros, though?

>> As far as development boards go, I've been toying with the PinePhone and
>> PineTab boards. Plan to try out the proprietary "Mali" driver instead of
>> the Lima one, since I don't have time to help out Lima and make it work
>> with hildon-desktop. Not sure if they still have development kits, but I
>> think they might be making some more.
>>
>> (Personal note: got back from a 7 week work trip and didn't have that
>> much time for Leste, but that's changing now.)
>
> And I'm spending most of my free time outdoors right now.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Merlijn