:: Re: [maemo-leste] Droid 4 in 5.3-rc…
Author: Tony Lindgren
To: Merlijn Wajer
CC: Pavel Machek, maemo-leste, Ivaylo Dimitrov, Sebastian Reichel
Subject: Re: [maemo-leste] Droid 4 in 5.3-rc1, development boards
Hi,

* Merlijn Wajer <merlijn@???> [190714 00:48]:
> On 13/07/2019 21:47, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > 5.3-rc1 should be released next week, and it should be interesting
> > release for Droid 4. AFAICT it should be possible to get video to work
> > there with minimal changes.
>
> Great. Our current Droid4 kernels are based on branches prepared by
> Tony. If we can follow mainline without patches, that would ultimately
> be better.

Yeah I'll do v5.2 based branch with the dss backported and with the
pending modem stuff. I'll be also working more on getting the n_gsm
modem support upstreamed, I think that's now the only set of pending
patches :)

I've been also slowly fixing battery charging and tinkering getting
agps support working for the modem gps.

Pavel, is the n_gsm serdev stuff now behaving for ofono or do we still
need some auto termination in the kernel?

I'm still seeing flakeyness uploading the xtra2.bin agps data that I
need to debug more, but that seems like a separate issue from the
ofono issue you described earlier.

> > [Someone may want to test it on N900, too. Display on N900 was always
> > flakey for me, and it does not seem to work now. Very probably
> > different config will fix that.]
>
> I don't think we're ready to switch to DRM yet for the N900, as we would
> lose the one thing we need to much on all the other devices: 3D
> acceleration. We'd need PowerVR to work with DRM, and I don't think we
> have that yet (feel free to correct me if I am wrong).
>
> > Now... there is more work to do in Droid4, but it should be mostly
> > userland and patch merging. Is there some development board, where
> > work of kernel hacker would be useful?
>
> PowerVR would be a big kernel one. People are working on it for Exynos:
> https://github.com/PabloPL/linux/issues/18 and there's the OpenPVRSGX
> linux driver group, aiming to do this for all devices:
> https://github.com/openpvrsgx-devgroup
>
> I think they have something working with DRM-ish, but nothing in X,
> which might work with https://github.com/TexasInstruments/dri3wsegl
>
> The droid would ultimately probably also need PowerVR to work in a
> useful fashion with hildon-desktop.

FYI the powervr kernel driver glue layer just needs to call runtime PM
hopefully on droid4 to get the powervr initialized. Well I've only briefly
tested via /sys by changing power from auto to on and then dumping out
some registers:

# echo on > /sys/devices/platform/44000000.ocp/5601fc00.target-module/power/control
# rwmem 0x5601fc00
0x5601fc00 = 0000000000    # sgx revision register
# echo auto > /sys/devices/platform/44000000.ocp/5601fc00.target-module/power/control

The same applies for the other omap variant socs, I'll try to post
similar dts patches for few other variants soonish.

> As far as development boards go, I've been toying with the PinePhone and
> PineTab boards. Plan to try out the proprietary "Mali" driver instead of
> the Lima one, since I don't have time to help out Lima and make it work
> with hildon-desktop. Not sure if they still have development kits, but I
> think they might be making some more.
>
> (Personal note: got back from a 7 week work trip and didn't have that
> much time for Leste, but that's changing now.)

And I'm spending most of my free time outdoors right now.

Cheers,

Tony