:: Re: [maemo-leste] Droid 4 in 5.3-rc…
Author: Merlijn Wajer
To: Pavel Machek, maemo-leste
CC: Tony Lindgren, Ivaylo Dimitrov
Subject: Re: [maemo-leste] Droid 4 in 5.3-rc1, development boards
Hi!

On 13/07/2019 21:47, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> 5.3-rc1 should be released next week, and it should be interesting
> release for Droid 4. AFAICT it should be possible to get video to work
> there with minimal changes.

Great. Our current Droid4 kernels are based on branches prepared by
Tony. If we can follow mainline without patches, that would ultimately
be better.

> [Someone may want to test it on N900, too. Display on N900 was always
> flakey for me, and it does not seem to work now. Very probably
> different config will fix that.]

I don't think we're ready to switch to DRM yet for the N900, as we would
lose the one thing we need to much on all the other devices: 3D
acceleration. We'd need PowerVR to work with DRM, and I don't think we
have that yet (feel free to correct me if I am wrong).

> Now... there is more work to do in Droid4, but it should be mostly
> userland and patch merging. Is there some development board, where
> work of kernel hacker would be useful?

PowerVR would be a big kernel one. People are working on it for Exynos:
https://github.com/PabloPL/linux/issues/18 and there's the OpenPVRSGX
linux driver group, aiming to do this for all devices:
https://github.com/openpvrsgx-devgroup

I think they have something working with DRM-ish, but nothing in X,
which might work with https://github.com/TexasInstruments/dri3wsegl

The droid would ultimately probably also need PowerVR to work in a
useful fashion with hildon-desktop.

As far as development boards go, I've been toying with the PinePhone and
PineTab boards. Plan to try out the proprietary "Mali" driver instead of
the Lima one, since I don't have time to help out Lima and make it work
with hildon-desktop. Not sure if they still have development kits, but I
think they might be making some more.

(Personal note: got back from a 7 week work trip and didn't have that
much time for Leste, but that's changing now.)

Cheers,
Merlijn