:: Re: [DNG] logging uses of machine-i…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] logging uses of machine-id
On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 09:24:47 +0100
KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 04:10:54AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 22:54:34 +0100
> > KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:
> >
> > > Ask those who *absolutely* *needed* usb sticks to be
> > > immediately automounted irrespective whatever DE they were using,
> > > and wanted the icon on the panel as soon as the drive was up.
> >
> > I and another guy on the DNG list solved that one a couple years ago
> > with inotifywait and some shellscript-fu. And our solution worked
> > whether or not X was running.
> >

> I know very well Steve. And that one is already too much for me (I
> look in dmesg and use pmount).
>
> I just wonder whether your nice solution is enough for a wider
> audience used to have things popping up around all the time. I guess
> it's not, as much as setnet is not a solution to manage networks
> palatable to a wider audience, as much as apt-get is not the tool used
> by the large majority of users to install packages, and so on.
>
> Tinkerers will always be fine. But a distro that aims to be universal
> like Devuan must also cater for those who are not willing to tinker
> around, IMHO.

Weeeeelll, there's willing to tinker and there's willing to tinker.

I don't forsee the tinkerphobic using fvwm or jwm or ratpoison. But
stuff popping up all the time? Your dmesg/pmount solution or mine and
the other guy's inotify solution could easily pop up one of those
temporary messages, and I think some of the temporary message popper
upppers don't require dbus (but use it if it's there).

By the way, how did you detect insertion? Were you using dmesg
--follow ?

SteveT