:: Re: [DNG] logging uses of machine-i…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] logging uses of machine-id
On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 09:15:00 +0100
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

>     It is not obvious which of these functionalites Dbus and/or
> Gnome (eg gvfs) are mandatory for. But I bet most  don't need them at
> all. Ranting against Dbus and Gnome - which I easily do (-: - doesn't
> help much. What really helps is to either build the applications
> without the unwanted dependencies, or write replacements maybe not so
> well graphically integrated, yet practical.

A third thing that would help is to say nice things about software that
doesn't require or suggest linking against massive entanglements like
systemd, dbus, gvfs and the like.

Tell people about the wonders of dmenu, which, if adjusted in a
shellscript, can provide the fastest access to running programs: Much
faster than anything you can do with a mouse.

As far as I know, LXDE, Lxqt, IceWM, Openbox, WindowMaker, FVWM, i3,
and ratpoison don't require dbus, systemd, KDE or Gnome. Yet each of
them can be tailored to perfection for the user's preferred workflow.
You can bolt on dmenu to each. If ALSA requires dbus, consider showing
people how to use OSS and be sure to get an OSS based volume control
(they exist).

Nobody emerges from the womb demanding integration: Integration is an
acquired taste to a great extent acquired from folks who made money out
of complexification: Jobs, Gates, Redhat to name a few. If they can be
shown how nice modular, do one thing and do it well tools can be
intermixed to create a system, some of them just might move away from
integration.

I bet Golinux could take a combination of jwm, dmenu, and a light
browser that is mouse discoverable, and make it the most beautiful work
environment around. Tiling window manager enthusiasts should be doing
Youtube videos right and left to showcase their extreme productivity.
We can bring back some integrationists from the dark side.

But when I say "we", I don't mean the Devuan project: Devuan doesn't
and shouldn't have a dog in that fight.

SteveT