:: Re: [DNG] logging uses of machine-i…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] logging uses of machine-id
On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 04:43:44AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:

[cut]

> By the way, how did you detect insertion? Were you using dmesg
> --follow ?

Much easier than that: since I am normally the only person who inserts
a stick in my computer, and I don't have any 100 meters long USB cable
running through the neighbourhood, I don't need any particular method
to "detect insertion", apart from being sober and using my own
short-term memory :)

At that point, I just type `tail -30 /var/log/dmesg` in one of my 50+
terminals, look for the detected partitions (if I am sober I am
normally able to find a disk partition in dmesg), launch `pmount` as
many times as needed, and cd on the folder. Optionally, I might open
`mc` once there. The whole thing requires less than 5 seconds, 6 times
less the amount you required to read this description.

That's my personal definition of *perfect workflow*, but I cannot
expect any other user to agree with that, as much as I don't agree
with those insisting on clicking on things.

Yet, I insist on the fact that Devuan must have the best possible
support for automounting.

My2Cents

KatolaZ