:: Re: [DNG] logging uses of machine-i…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] Desktop integration
Subject: Re: [DNG] logging uses of machine-id
On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 04:54:02PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 10:40:02AM +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
> > Then, you won't have any
> > "desktop integration" which seems to be a "must" for many users today,
> > but I can assure that life goes on either way.
>
> What *is* that "desktop integration" that those users want?

Ask them. Ask those who complained for months before ascii got to beta
stage because they could not click on a button and suspend their
laptop, since their DE did not supported consolekit. Ask those whose
laptop suspended but then did not resume properly, and had screen
brightness all off because their session was not properly
maintained. Ask those who *absolutely* *needed* usb sticks to be
immediately automounted irrespective whatever DE they were using, and
wanted the icon on the panel as soon as the drive was up. Ask those
who said it was outragious that synaptic did not start straight from
the menu, since policykit was not working. Ask those who complain
because a widget is misplaced in the bottom panel of a LXDE, those who
insist that Devuan is "rough over the edges" because the border of the
windows in the default theme is too thin, or to those who are
disconcerted because one of their preferred widgets has suddenly
disappeared.

I am not saying these are not valid complaints, quite the opposite. I
am just saying that I accepted years ago that the way I use Linux is
not the same other users use it, and I have to keep this in mind if I
want to contribute to Devuan.

My2Cents

KatolaZ