:: Re: [DNG] logging uses of machine-i…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] logging uses of machine-id
Le 12/03/2019 à 22:54, KatolaZ a écrit :
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 04:54:02PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
>> What *is* that "desktop integration" that those users want?
>>
> Ask them. Ask those who complained for months before ascii got to beta
> stage because they could not click on a button and suspend their
> laptop, since their DE did not supported consolekit. Ask those whose
> laptop suspended but then did not resume properly, and had screen
> brightness all off because their session was not properly
> maintained. Ask those who *absolutely* *needed* usb sticks to be
> immediately automounted irrespective whatever DE they were using, and
> wanted the icon on the panel as soon as the drive was up. Ask those
> who said it was outragious that synaptic did not start straight from
> the menu, since policykit was not working. Ask those who complain
> because a widget is misplaced in the bottom panel of a LXDE, those who
> insist that Devuan is "rough over the edges" because the border of the
> windows in the default theme is too thin, or to those who are
> disconcerted because one of their preferred widgets has suddenly
> disappeared.
>
> I am not saying these are not valid complaints, quite the opposite. I
> am just saying that I accepted years ago that the way I use Linux is
> not the same other users use it, and I have to keep this in mind if I
> want to contribute to Devuan.

    It is not obvious which of these functionalites Dbus and/or Gnome
(eg gvfs) are mandatory for. But I bet most  don't need them at all.
Ranting against Dbus and Gnome - which I easily do (-: - doesn't help
much. What really helps is to either build the applications without the
unwanted dependencies, or write replacements maybe not so well
graphically integrated, yet practical.

    Didier