:: Re: [DNG] simple-netaid-backend deb…
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] simple-netaid-backend debugged.
Quoting Ralph Ronnquist via Dng (dng@???):

> It's intriguing to see you get so emotional about this.

I obviously would not presume to speak for Allesandro, but sometimes
people get frustrated in Internet arguments in ways they might not in
more-interactive discussion. (Anyway, I'd always rather make charitable
assumptions about people. Well, not always, as achieving a saing a
saintly disposition is still a work in process. But one tries.)

> Just the other week I opted for using ifconfig because I couldn't work
> out the single command for confguring a tap with an IP address, and
> bring it up. With ip, I seemed to need 3 commands, so at that time I
> liked ifconfig better. I

I completely know how that is, starting with familiarity and then
continuing with efficiency (or apparent efficiency). I may more may not
ever get as comfortable with 'ss' as I am with netstat, for example, and
'netstat -nalp' is hard-wired into my memory, whereas I have to look up
the 'ss' equivalent, every time.

This iproute2 user guide might help, as it has for me:
https://www.baturin.org/docs/iproute2/#Tun%20and%20Tap%20devices

--
Cheers,                "I never quarrel with a man who buys ink by the barrel."
Rick Moen                    -- Rep. Charles B. Brownson (R-Indiana), ca. 1960