:: Re: [DNG] ..should we set up our ow…
Author: Adam Borowski
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ..should we set up our own usage policy wizard script?, was: OpenSSH: delay on beowulf
On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 08:24:45PM +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
> But *what* exactly are you claiming is "calling home"? Do you have any
> real example of what you say or the rant just spilled off the tinfoil
> hat?
>
> Please stop spreading FUD. If you don't need ssh, mail, or whatever
> otherq service, just `apt-get remove --purge` them.

The problem is that a number of unexpected programs call home. Just one
example: clementine, a nice music player. By default, it contacts a
crapload of servers to grab song lyrics, last.fm (whatever that is) play
counts, something something "scrobbler" (?), and so on. That's for regular
100% local .mp3/.ogg/.opus files.

Or, our oh-so-beloved init virus -- its "networkd" part, if it fails to
obtain a DNS resolver via DHCP, the resolver responds slowly during probing,
or is otherwise temporarily unavailable -- networkd will then send to Google
information about every single TCP connection you make (as next to no user
programs cache DNS queries).

All in the name of "convenience" for some users.

Are you going to audit every program you install?

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁