:: Re: [DNG] ..should we set up our ow…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ..should we set up our own usage policy wizard script?, was: OpenSSH: delay on beowulf
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 22:44:33 +0100, Adam wrote in message
<20190210214433.vrxiym2txrwaqfn6@???>:

> On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 08:24:45PM +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
> > But *what* exactly are you claiming is "calling home"?

..I didn't, I simply find some fishy and unwanted network activity
on boot-up. I prefer to decide on boot-up network activity myself.

> > Please stop spreading FUD. If you don't need ssh, mail, or whatever
> > otherq service, just `apt-get remove --purge` them.

..I do need e.g. ssh, and I still prefer to decide on any boot-up
network activity myself.

> The problem is that a number of unexpected programs call home. Just
> one example: clementine, a nice music player. By default, it
> contacts a crapload of servers to grab song lyrics, last.fm (whatever
> that is) play counts, something something "scrobbler" (?), and so
> on. That's for regular 100% local .mp3/.ogg/.opus files.
>
> Or, our oh-so-beloved init virus -- its "networkd" part, if it fails
> to obtain a DNS resolver via DHCP, the resolver responds slowly
> during probing, or is otherwise temporarily unavailable -- networkd
> will then send to Google information about every single TCP
> connection you make (as next to no user programs cache DNS queries).
>
> All in the name of "convenience" for some users.
>
> Are you going to audit every program you install?

..ideally, yes. But like most people, I need a safe way to do this
until I can learn how to do safely myself for any new program,
meanwhile, the systemd people does their own boot-up call home etc
networking, we need to do our own thing, our own non-systemd way,
hence my "our own usage policy wizard script" idea.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: