:: Re: [DNG] ..should we set up our ow…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ..should we set up our own usage policy wizard script?, was: OpenSSH: delay on beowulf
On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 06:19:04PM +0100, Arnt Karlsen wrote:

[cut]

> ..fishy. One thing I see on my ascii boxes, is ifup, dhcp etc
> networking during boot-up, _before_ I can log in. It's down
> as I get to log in.
>
> ..I can see merit on such network activity on ssh, mail etc headless
> server boxes, but _not_ on a "single seat" laptop, unless it's stolen.
>
> ..that kinda laptops should and/or should not "call home" home before
> its owner has decided when, where (home, work, diner, strip club...)
> and by whom (owner, spouse, kids, boss, guest, one night stander etc)
> said laptop is being utilized for which purpose (e.g. email, porn, "Hi
> mom, sorry I missed church, I'm in love, can we come for dinner?", tax
> report, weather chk, espionage etc).

o_O

But *what* exactly are you claiming is "calling home"? Do you have any
real example of what you say or the rant just spilled off the tinfoil
hat?

Please stop spreading FUD. If you don't need ssh, mail, or whatever
otherq service, just `apt-get remove --purge` them. You can easily
have a machine without anything network-related at all. There is
indeed no need to have a mailserver on a laptop, but from here to
saying that anything is "calling home" during boot there are a few
long miles to go.

HND

KatolaZ