:: Re: [DNG] Creating directory in /va…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Creating directory in /var/run on bootup
On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 10:52:24 +1100
wirelessduck--- via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> I'm running the barman backup software for PostgreSQL and the
> documentation says I should configure the lockfile directory to be on
> a volatile partition like /var/run/barman.
>
> Since this software runs every minute via cron instead of having a
> daemon process, there is no service script in /etc/init.d/ that I can
> use to create the /var/run/barman directory.
>
> What is the recommended alternative way to create a sub-directory of
> /var/run on bootup for non-daemon software?

Or, you could use this as an opportunity to stick your toes in the
water of runit or s6, by running runit or s6 from /etc/inittab's
special respawn area, and then making a s6 or runit service that makes
the directory, and then does a forever one minute loop-sleep that
spawns your program. Maybe more work than Cron, but it's your easiest
way into supervisor programs.

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2019 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust