:: Re: [DNG] Creating directory in /va…
Author: Tom
To: Steve Litt
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Creating directory in /var/run on bootup

> On 6 Feb 2019, at 17:57, Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:
>
> Or, you could use this as an opportunity to stick your toes in the
> water of runit or s6, by running runit or s6 from /etc/inittab's
> special respawn area, and then making a s6 or runit service that makes
> the directory, and then does a forever one minute loop-sleep that
> spawns your program. Maybe more work than Cron, but it's your easiest
> way into supervisor programs.

I’m not likely to take this plunge on an existing production server, but I would love to learn more about it at some point. I will try to review the presentation video on s6 from the upcoming d1conf (hopefully there will be a recorded session on s6?? :D).

I notice there is a s6 package inside Debian archives for buster and unstable, but no other packages. Does this mean that s6 doesn’t need the extra packages like runit has with runit-sysv and runic-init? Or does s6 not provide all the features that runit provides?

—Tom