:: Re: [DNG] A concrete proposal [was:…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] A concrete proposal [was: Re: Drive-by critique]
On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 12:37:36 +0100
KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:

> it would be probably good to have a simple webpage for Devuan
> newcomers that asks a couple of questions about the user
> intentions/use-case and suggests the most appropriate install image
> to use among the available ones.

Nice! Better yet, put it on the download page right above all the
install image links, so the user doesn't need to search things he
doesn't know exist.

> If anybody is wondering "how can I help Devuan" and is ready to do
> something concrete in that direction, putting together such a simple
> webpage would be a valuable contribution. Discussions are good and can
> be entertaining sometimes, but actions are the only way to improve
> things.

Let me get things started right here, where we can all collaborate...

If you want something that's simple, "just works", and keeps hassle to
an absolute minimum, choose the Xfce installer. The Xfce installer is
also great for the less technical among us.

If you want a very lightweight computer, choose the LXDE (or is it
lxqt?) installer.

If you want to get *something* installed quickly, or if the graphical
installs give you trouble, choose the network installer. Once that's
installed, log in as root and type enhance_installation.sh to choose
and install the software you need. The enhance_installation.sh program
will explain all the major software additions, and in what cases you
might need them.

If you want to get geeky with it and do a chroot install, use the
debootstrap installer.

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2018 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21