:: Re: [DNG] A concrete proposal [was:…
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] A concrete proposal [was: Re: Drive-by critique]
Quoting KatolaZ (katolaz@???):

> I would really like to avoid starting yet-another-lengthy-flame which
> has little chance of being useful at all. Writing 150 emails about
> which points of that post are good and which are bad might possibly be
> useful to sharpen our own rhetoric weapons, but will not further the
> achievement of Devuan's mission by a single bit.

Fortunately, that's _not_ going to happen here, because the rant in
question just is out of touch with Devuan and with the realities of
maintaining a distribution.

> I have a concrete proposal instead, actually coming from a reply by
> Centurion_Dan to that thread on Dev1Galaxy. The proposal is as
> follows:
>
> it would be probably good to have a simple webpage for Devuan
> newcomers that asks a couple of questions about the user
> intentions/use-case and suggests the most appropriate install image
> to use among the available ones.

I see now that Centurion-Dan posted this to
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=13190#p13190, where his full
comments can be read.

It's a tribute to the high quality and dedication of Devuan Project's
contributors that so much useful and creative material ends up on its
Web forum. I'll confess that I consider this so vanishingly rare that
until this past evening I'd not plowed through Eric's drive-by comments
much, and hasn't read others' follow-on comments there at all.

> If anybody is wondering "how can I help Devuan" and is ready to do
> something concrete in that direction, putting together such a simple
> webpage would be a valuable contribution. Discussions are good and can
> be entertaining sometimes, but actions are the only way to improve
> things.

Hear, hear.