:: Re: [DNG] Audio woes in Ascii - spe…
Author: ael
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Audio woes in Ascii - speakers but no headphones
On Sun, Dec 09, 2018 at 01:25:05PM -1000, Joel Roth via Dng wrote:
> One other good idea is this: alsactl init
> The command will put your soundcard in a usable
> state.

Just a note on this: I use alsactl regularly to modify my alsa sound
settings when I switch to headphones for voip calls.

So I have a script like this:
-----------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

/usr/sbin/alsactl -f /home/me/voip/my_preferred_voip_alsa restore 0

However "my_preferred_voip_alsa" has to be regenerated quite often -
maybe after a couple of months. A diff on before and after reveals
minor changes. I am not quite sure why, perhaps as alsa is updated.
But this change/failure is silent, so this results in mysterious
failures. Now I aware of this, I simple regenerate the file and all
is well again.

The point of this note is to save others time in diagnosing such alsa
problems.

ael