:: Re: [DNG] Audio woes in Ascii - spe…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Audio woes in Ascii - speakers but no headphones
On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 18:16:30 +0200
Lars Noodén via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> On 10/11/18 9:00 PM, Lars Noodén wrote:
> > Today when I plugged in external speakers or earbuds into the audio
> > jack on my notebook, the sound no longer transfers from the
> > built-in speakers to the jack. The sound stops in the built-in
> > speakers as expected but it is not transferred to the jack.
> >
> > If I run pavucontrol and choose "playback"

I've had tremendous success uninstalling all things Pulseaudio,
including pavucontrol. Pavucontrol has all sorts of mutes hidden in
dark, hard to reach places.

I'd suggest after uninstalling Pulse*, run alsamixer, make sure the
headphones slide is unmuted, and crank that slide up to 100%, with the
headphones off your ears to prevent ear damage. Crank master and PCM up
to 100% too. You'll probably hear the music.

If not, use amixer, aplay and speaker-test as diagnostics. I wrote a
document on troubleshooting sound systems at
http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/sound/sound_troubleshooting.htm .
Unfortunately, I wrote it before realizing the true problems with
PulseAudio. But still, it might help.

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2018 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21