:: Re: [DNG] Audio woes in Ascii - spe…
Author: Joel Roth
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Audio woes in Ascii - speakers but no headphones
On Sun, Dec 09, 2018 at 05:48:53PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> I'd suggest after uninstalling Pulse*, run alsamixer, make sure the
> headphones slide is unmuted, and crank that slide up to 100%, with the
> headphones off your ears to prevent ear damage. Crank master and PCM up
> to 100% too. You'll probably hear the music.
>
> If not, use amixer, aplay and speaker-test as diagnostics. I wrote a
> document on troubleshooting sound systems at
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/sound/sound_troubleshooting.htm .
> Unfortunately, I wrote it before realizing the true problems with
> PulseAudio. But still, it might help.

Uninstalling pulseaudio is a good first diagnostic step,
and having done so, your diagnostic suggestions are applicable.

One other good idea is this: alsactl init
The command will put your soundcard in a usable
state.

As exemplified here:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/15765/why-do-i-have-to-run-alsactl-init-each-time-i-boot-my-system

cheers,