:: Re: [DNG] My setup, and why I like …
Author: spiralofhope
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] My setup, and why I like it
On Thu, 22 Nov 2018 15:14:10 -0500
Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

> I don't yet run drive encryption, but may start.

I encourage it. It's straightforward, and was surprisingly good
performance for me, even on rust.

I did it from scratch, prepping a whole drive and then copying data from
elsewhere, and holy hell did it take forever and cook that room.

You don't need them, but I decided to make very detailed instructions
meant for complete newbies on how to install and reinstall onto plain
non-LVM encrypted root partitions without reformatting. I've been too
lazy to publish it, but I'll get to that soonish.

> I won't be encrypting
> anything on the root drive, so I can boot up to a useable state and
> then unencrypt various partitions.

This is easy to do. I use hard drives like floppies in a tool-less
dock in one case. It's useful if you carry drives off-site.

--

I'm sure it's even possible to craft a sort of nuke-carrying
submarine-style system where you insert a hard drive and then a