:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
New-Topics: [DNG] merging /tmp
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
Le 24/11/2018 à 13:13, Roger Leigh a écrit :
> (Like many, I used to routinely use a separate /usr on a separate
> partition, then LVM LV, until I really looked at the practice and
> questioned the real underlying problems which it was solving. I've not
> needed one in over a decade at this point.  I'm not particularly for
> or against having one.  It's simply ceased to be a relevant concern
> for any of the diverse systems I've worked on, from desktops and
> workstations, to cluster nodes, VMs, servers and container images.
> None of them needed it.)

    Like you I did mount /usr separately for over a decade, with the
idea that my OS would be recoverable if /usr was corrupted. Untill I
realized it simply wouldn't. I tend to prefer, now to reserve a
partition for another Linux OS. It could be a clone, of the main one,
but I prefer experimenting with fancy things, even custom. Disks are so
big nowadays that there is a lot of room for it.

    In my last install, I still had /tmp and /var on separate
partitions, but I'm questionning the validity of such a setup.

        Didier