:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Erik Christiansen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
On 21.11.18 17:11, Alessandro Selli wrote:
> On 21/11/18 at 13:17, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I've been following the discussion with interest.
>

>   No, you definitely have not followed it.  In fact you are disregarding
> all the points that were expressed against the merge.
>

> >   It's certainly not a new discussion, since I remember debating it a
> > good few years back, but there are still the same opinions and
> > thoughts on the topic that I remember from back then.
> >
> > Some general points to consider:
> >
> > 1) A separate /usr serves no practical purpose on a Debian/Devuan system
>

>   Yes it does, and they were already listed:

+1

What amazes me more than the great length of this thread is the
inordinate ignorance of insisting that merging needs to be mandated,
instead of just being offered on an opt-in basis, maximally invisible to
the rest of us.

All the "woulda coulda shoulda" opinions and pseudo-arguments proffered
as justification for foisting one's personal prejudices on others are
infinitely irrelevant. Let each choose according to personal perception
of merit or any auspicious augury, but choose freely.

That said, don't mind me - the fizzy fireworks display may break the
thread length record, and spare the cat some kicking. I just hope our
doughty devs don't suffer too much irritation from all the chafing on a
solved issue.

Erik