:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question??
Le 20/11/2018 à 11:32, Rick Moen a écrit :
> Quoting Didier Kryn (kryn@???):
>
>> Well, AFAIU, you compile your own kernel, with device drivers
>> in the kernel, instead of modules (not possible for all), and don't
>> use the packaged kernel/initrd provided by Debian.
> That's not _precisely_ what I said, no. (I have nothing against modules,
> after all.)
>
> As I already mentioned immediately upthread, I compile drivers essential
> for my hardware into the kernel image, and a variety of other drivers
> that I might need but might not as modules.
>
>> It is absolutely possible to live like this,
> Well, that's a relief! You had me worried. ;->

    I was just acking it's possible (I played that game for embeded
devices) :-)

>> ...but it discards apt-controlled kernel updates (typically once per
>> month).
> Do you _really_ replace your kernel once a month? That seems
> outlandish, to me.

    Yes, everytime I run synaptic, I generally apply *all* upgrades,
including kernel.

> I'm not entirely certain what you mean by 'apt-controlled'. A I
> already mentioned, make-kpkg(1) is an obvious tool for this purpose that
> constructs a debianised local package, which therefore among other
> results is fully registered with the package subsystem. Perhaps you
> should try it.
>
> If by 'apt-controlled' you mean 'fetching and running binary debs of
> someone else's kernel', no, I prefer to run mine, instead.

    Yes.

>> Do you perform kernel updates, and how?
> How? Rather well! ;->
>
>> And what kernel source do you use, kernel.org or Debian?
> I'm unclear on what possible use you would have for that information.

    Just out of curiosity:

    Debian kernels are patched by Debian's kernel team, in particular
for security fixes. Therefore I see 4 options (at least)

    1) compile from kernel.org source with your own config

    2) compile from kernel.org source with Debian's config, customized
by you

    3) compile from Debian patched kernel source with your own config

    4) compile from Debian patched kernel source with Debians config,
customized by you

    When I played that game, I used option 1, but didn't upgrade
frequently the kernel. The devices were well protected inside an
intranet. With laptop and desktop computers, I certainly don't want that
burden.

            Didier