:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question??
Quoting Didier Kryn (kryn@???):

> Well, AFAIU, you compile your own kernel, with device drivers
> in the kernel, instead of modules (not possible for all), and don't
> use the packaged kernel/initrd provided by Debian.

That's not _precisely_ what I said, no. (I have nothing against modules,
after all.)

As I already mentioned immediately upthread, I compile drivers essential
for my hardware into the kernel image, and a variety of other drivers
that I might need but might not as modules.

> It is absolutely possible to live like this,

Well, that's a relief! You had me worried. ;->

> ...but it discards apt-controlled kernel updates (typically once per
> month).

Do you _really_ replace your kernel once a month? That seems
outlandish, to me.

I'm not entirely certain what you mean by 'apt-controlled'. A I
already mentioned, make-kpkg(1) is an obvious tool for this purpose that
constructs a debianised local package, which therefore among other
results is fully registered with the package subsystem. Perhaps you
should try it.

If by 'apt-controlled' you mean 'fetching and running binary debs of
someone else's kernel', no, I prefer to run mine, instead.

> Do you perform kernel updates, and how?

How? Rather well! ;->

> And what kernel source do you use, kernel.org or Debian?

I'm unclear on what possible use you would have for that information.