:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Stephan Seitz
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question??
On Sa, Nov 17, 2018 at 09:14:06 +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>The idea of grouping certain classes of files in different directories
>makes it just so much easier for homo sapiens to keep a grip on things.

Well, I can remember a time when you had a /usr/X11 directory. While this
was mostly for X server files some other programs like xv were installed
in this place as well.

I found it quite usefull because X11 programs are useless if you only
have a text console. But this directory vanished long ago.

>About that not looking all bad, perhaps the merge should be in the other
>direction, from /usr to / rather than from / to /usr. Or can we expect

No, if you want to merge something, everything in /usr is the right way.
Then you can really export /usr via NFS to all systems and they have all
programs and libraries available. And you only need to update the /usr
export.

In the current state you have a lot of work to update the exported /usr
and the local /bin, /sbin, /lib* directories.

>So, I'm against a *forced* /usr merge. I hope Debian does the right
>thing but if necessary, I would like to see Devuan correct the wrong.

Yes, for now you have a choice. How long it will last I don’t know.
I think it will depend on how many scripts in the wild will start to have
lines like „#!/usr/bin/bash” because this is the new place.

Shade and sweet water!

    Stephan

--
| Public Keys: http://fsing.rootsland.net/~stse/keys.html |