:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Alessandro Selli
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question??
On 19/11/18c at 12:46, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> On Sa, Nov 17, 2018 at 09:14:06 +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>> The idea of grouping certain classes of files in different directories
>> makes it just so much easier for homo sapiens to keep a grip on things.
>
> Well, I can remember a time when you had a /usr/X11 directory. While
> this was mostly for X server files some other programs like xv were
> installed in this place as well.
>
> I found it quite usefull because X11 programs are useless if you only
> have a text console. But this directory vanished long ago.

  I agree, I though it good not having X11 programs in the PATH when I
was using the TUI interface only.

>> About that not looking all bad, perhaps the merge should be in the other
>> direction, from /usr to / rather than from / to /usr.  Or can we expect
>
> No, if you want to merge something, everything in /usr is the right
> way.  Then you can really export /usr via NFS to all systems and they
> have all programs and libraries available. And you only need to update
> the /usr export.
>
> In the current state you have a lot of work to update the exported
> /usr and the local /bin, /sbin, /lib* directories.

  I do not agree.  Net-boot systems need a / filesystem anyway, that
it's merged with /usr or not.  In the case of a partial net-install, /
is local and /usr (as well as /home) is remote.  In this case in the
local / you have everything you need to configure the network and to
install /usr over it.  In the case of a full net-install, you have to
mount the / filesystem over the network, which again will have
everything needed to mount any additional filesystem over the net, /usr
included.  It's not that complicated, in both cases you just need the
relevant scripts and config files on the / filesystem that it was local
or mounted over the network.  LTSP and DRBL have been doing this for
many years.

  You actually have a bonus if you don't do the / -> merge, that is you
could have separate / filesystems for different clients that are going
to boot over the network (with different settings in /etc, for instance)
while they're going to be served all the same /usr filesystem, which is
going to simplify the overall NFS layout.

>> So, I'm against a *forced* /usr merge.  I hope Debian does the right
>> thing but if necessary, I would like to see Devuan correct the wrong.
>
> Yes, for now you have a choice. How long it will last I don’t know.  I
> think it will depend on how many scripts in the wild will start to
> have lines like „#!/usr/bin/bash” because this is the new place.

  This could happen, but I don't think is going to be a major hassle.
Nothing compared to systemd, at least.

--
Alessandro Selli <alessandroselli@???>
VOIP SIP: dhatarattha@???