:: Re: [DNG] ascii upgrade /w KDE
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ascii upgrade /w KDE
Hi Simon.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Simon Walter - 02.11.18, 11:47:
> I thought I should write to warn anyone that has not already upgraded
> to ascii.

Regarding Plasma/KDE in Devuan, you may also consider subscribing to
debian-kde mailing list, at least for reading it. Many of the things you
write here have been discussed there already months, if not more than a
years ago.

[changed wordwrap to separate the warnings]
> KDE 5 is "fine". I do not see the improvements - yet. Of course all
> your settings will not be used. So that is warning #1.

Most of them. I saw some Plasma applications like KMail picking up old
settings just fine.

> #2 is that kwallet has a new format and even though it seems to
> support importing old wallets, it doesn't work and is a known bug. So
> before you upgrade, export your wallet(s) as XML.

It *sometimes* does not work. At least in one case it worked just fine
for me, in another case on second attempt. But yeah, exporting your
wallets is pretty good advice, so thank you for warning others.

> BTW, the upgrade was a disaster. I had to reinstall. I may be alone in
> having an Debian to jessie to ascii with KDE. It is not worth
> upgrading - just reinstall.

I upgraded on Debian just fine. This laptop is still on Debian, so I am
very keen to hear how Plasma 5 works for you on Devuan, as I consider to
switch it as I did with my server virtual machines. The machine is
critical for my work, so it has to work reliable. That said I am even on
Debian Unstable and I consider to switch to Devuan Ceres.

Ciao,
--
Martin