:: [DNG] Plasma on Devuan Ceres
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: DNG
Subject: [DNG] Plasma on Devuan Ceres
Hi!

I am considering to switch this main laptop from Debian Sid to Devuan
Ceres for quire some time already. Right now I noticed I have another
laptop where I can test this move first. On the second laptop, my
jukebox for Hi-Fi equipment, issues are not as critical as on this one.
I think I may test migrating there and see what happens. I may delay
switching over the main laptop, a ThinkPad T520, to Devuan Ceres till
Winter holidays or even later.

So or so I am really keen to hear about how Plasma works on Ceres. What
are your experiences? I expect hardware to work just the same regarding
drivers, but I compile my own kernels on this main laptop anyway.

How about integration of Plasma with other stuff?

- NetworkManager: On Debian it depends on libsystemd, but on Devuan
Ascii is does not. So does it work fine on Devuan without libsystemd?

- What about Pulseaudio? On Devuan Ascii it depends on libsystemd.
(Please no discussions on pro and contra Pulseaudio. I am aware of the
arguments and I disliked Pulseaudio for a long time. Meanwhile it works
just fine for me, while I still hope for something better to come along,
maybe Pipewire, if it can run without Systemd stuff) If Pulseaudio does
not work, what do you use for sound, pure ALSA, Jack? Do all your apps
work with it? Firefox with ALSA has been an issue I think.

- How about plugable devices like USB sticks? Are they automatically
detected in Plasma and ready to mount by click?

Any other experiences about what does work and what does not work?

Not everything has to work perfectly, but the desktop has to work good
enough to get actual work done without too much interference and also be
able to hear sound with all applications, including even a game with
uses OpenAL. Also the production laptop works in many different network
environments and has to basically work with ethernet, with authenticated
ethernet (using WPA Supplicant), in different WLANs and occasionally
also on mobile broadband provided by phone connected with USB (but can
also open WLAN access point in case USB modem thing would not work).

It is unusual that I use Debian Sid on a production laptop, but I feel
comfortable with it, as it generally works and most issues are usually
quite temporary or can be worked around easy enough. How are your
experiences on Devuan Ceres? I bet it has similar stability and similar
temporary breakages as Debian Sid?

(I kindly ask you to keep any ranting out of this. I navigate both
Debian and Devuan communities and have friends with both. If that makes
me an enemy for you, then please just ignore my mail and be done with
it.)

Thank you,
--
Martin