:: [DNG] Service directory location
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Service directory location
Hi all,

The runit (or daemontools or s6) service directory is the directory
which is scanned for symlinks of runit directories. The Debian runit
package sets it to /etc/service, the Void package sets it
to /var/service, and both djb and runit author G. Pape recommend
setting it to /service, which of course would be rejected by most
admins.

Debian's /etc/service is a perfectly good choice as long as:

1) /etc isn't read only

2) You're not using runit along with daemontools or s6 or anything else
which might claim the name "service".

In the short run we can just use the Debian default. Most people have
read/write /etc, and most people don't simultaneously install runit
along with either s6 or daemontools/daemontools-encore.

In the longer run I'd recommend /var/rsvc because /var is always
read-write, and the r in rsvc indicates "runit", where for s6 it would
be /var/ssvc and daemontools would be /var/dsvc.

For the time being I'll proceed on the assumption that it will
be /etc/service for the foreseeable future.

Just a heads-up.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2018 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz