:: Re: [DNG] Stop the madness!
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Stop the madness!
On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 10:14:56AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 10:04:22 -0400
> Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:
>

> > Sounds good. So the runit package would wrap the directory with
> > boilerplate packageing info, including an installation-time shutdown
> > of the sysvinit script.
>
> I don't understand a word of the preceding paragraph, which is part of
> the problem. I've used Yast, yum, apt-get and xbps, and never
> understood what goes into a package in any of them. Looks like I'm
> going to have to learn.

I don't understand packaging either -- except that a package has to contian
information that allows the ackaging system to function. Beyond that it's a
mystery.

I gather that packaging systems have grown over a long time by accretion of
features. Both tags and such that haave to be present in the package and an
ever-changing plethora of tools to assist one in building them. It's
complicated.

Packaging is probably the main reason I've never coded for android. Writing
code that runs on Linux (and isn't packaged) is comparatively easy.

-- hendrik