:: Re: [DNG] Service directory locatio…
Author: g4sra
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Service directory location
On 21/10/2018 16:19, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The runit (or daemontools or s6) service directory is the directory
> which is scanned for symlinks of runit directories. The Debian runit
> package sets it to /etc/service, the Void package sets it
> to /var/service, and both djb and runit author G. Pape recommend
> setting it to /service, which of course would be rejected by most
> admins.
>
> Debian's /etc/service is a perfectly good choice as long as:
>
> 1) /etc isn't read only

It is actually quite difficult to make '/etc' truly read only on
anything but a host for a dedicated use (you can use a ramdisk or
overlayfs to good effect though) as there are files that you cannot
easily redirect.

> 2) You're not using runit along with daemontools or s6 or anything else
> which might claim the name "service".
>
> In the short run we can just use the Debian default. Most people have
> read/write /etc, and most people don't simultaneously install runit
> along with either s6 or daemontools/daemontools-encore.
>
> In the longer run I'd recommend /var/rsvc because /var is always
> read-write, and the r in rsvc indicates "runit", where for s6 it would
> be /var/ssvc and daemontools would be /var/dsvc.

I advise against this, in all systems, '/var' *should* (not is) be a
separate file system from '/'. A system should be bootable (errors
permitted, logging straight to the console, but must be capable to at
least reach single-user mode) without '/var' present
Traditionally '/var' could even be an NFS mount during boot from a
remote machine (the same as '/usr').

> For the time being I'll proceed on the assumption that it will
> be /etc/service for the foreseeable future.

I approve of '/etc' but don't like 'service', my gut says this is wrong
and will come back and bit us (there is already /etc/services). I will
sleep on it and try to think of a better alternative, I apologise for
not being more helpful in this regard.