:: Re: [DNG] Who remembers rootkit..
Author: Andrew McGlashan
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Who remembers rootkit..
Hi Rick,

On 21/10/18 14:42, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Jimmy Johnson (field.engineer@???):
>
>> Who remembers when rootkit hunter started showing problems and
>> Debian said they where false positive problems? I think it was
>> sometime during the development of Stretch. Well they fixed
>> rootkit hunter to not show those problems any longer and so goes
>> systemd, one BIG FAT security problem and has made security
>> software pretty much useless. At lest with a firewall and no
>> systemd you can stop kernel calls to get outside http or at lest
>> I can. I think it's to bad we have to live with a kernel that's
>> passing our activity to outside sources. I have this stuff
>> logged, it can't be denied.

I think he means the callout by some systemd setup that does a http or
some other test for "connenctivity" ... perhaps it is more than that,
but that alone is a concern. It was suggested in /that/ thread to
which I think he is talking about, that the test should be to the
router or the first outside gateway from your local network.

Anyways, I'm not too sure.

Cheers
A.