:: Re: [DNG] Stop the madness!
Author: Jimmy Johnson
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Stop the madness!
On 10/19/18 10:19 PM, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 09:55:31PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
>> Some folks are asking for automatic sysvinit init script generation, or
>> else unit file to sysvinit init script converters. Some are asking
>> Devuan's developers to prioritize their scarce programmer resources to
>> modifying sysvinit, which is over 30 years old. Yet others think we
>> should reimplement all the systemd functions in the Unix paradigm.
>>
>> Stop the madness!
>

> Dear Steve,
>
> I understand your frustration, and I share most of it, but I can't see
> anything wrong with discussing the possibility of generating
> initscripts from existing unit files (which is something that, at
> least in part, already exists [0]).
>
> I personally like the ideas behind process managers like runit (I have
> also had a look at shepherd, for instance), but if you want it to
> happen in Devuan somebody should work on it and make it real. And now
> is a good time to do that, since Beowulf is in the making.
>
> Unfortunately, pointing to a bunch of scripts is not enough: you need
> somebody who has experience of using runit who is willing to package
> the whole stuff in a coherent way, IMHO.

You already know you have MS Trolls in this group, best way to handle
them is to talk around them, they will not listen to common sense or
help you make Devuan what you want it to be. They are just here to tell
you that you are stupid until you do things their way and that's to use
systemd or something else that will destroy Devuan. Their not stupid,
avoid them and get on with your business and Save Linux!

> My2Cents
>
> KatolaZ

My2Cents
--
Jimmy Johnson

Slackware64 Current - KDE 4.14.38 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263