:: Re: [DNG] Stop the madness!
Author: Jimmy Johnson
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Stop the madness!
On 10/19/18 6:55 PM, Steve Litt wrote:

> Lennart pats himself on the back for his parallel instantiation. Notice
> how I allowed primecache.sh to run, in the background, while other boot
> activities were done. But wait, there's more. Runit goes around in a
> circle, creating 1 daemon supervisors, without stopping to wait if
> those 1 daemon supervisors succeed. In parallel, those 1 daemon
> supervisors each start their daemon, whether it takes 0.1 seconds or 30
> seconds.
>
> IN OTHER WORDS...
>
> If you're happy with sysvinit, that's fine. But if sysvinit no longer
> suits your use case, or you're afraid it will no longer work with
> systemd apps and daemons, then don't try to massively bring up to date
> the 30 year old jalopy from the days of Devo and Pat Banatar and
> distributors and carburetors, instead switch to something that already
> accommodates your needs: Runit (or s6).
>
> And don't forget, until Devuan Devs get around to making the runit
> package a genuine PID1, you can, right now, today, run runit on top of
> sysvinit, and one by one switch services from /etc/rc.d/init.d scripts
> to runit run scripts, by shutting off the service on the sysvinit end,
> and downloading or making a runit run script and then making one
> symlink.
>
> A lot of run scripts are available at
> http://smarden.org/runit/runscripts.htm . I will be curating a
> collection of more runit run scripts in the near future.
>
> In other words, unless you view sysvinit as an antique to be kept
> around for sentimental value, don't put any work into it. Drive it
> while it fits your needs, then call the tow truck to tow it away and
> get your brand new runit supervisor.
>
> SteveT

Pottering only selling point was the systemd is faster, my testings on
many systems says that's a lie. I'm not saying it can't be faster, while
using systemd if I push and hold the on/off switch my computer shuts
down fast.

If I understand you, you're trying to dump sysvinit because it's old,
well it's not nearly as old as me and I can still kick butt and I see
nothing wrong using sysv script, as a user it's working for me, simple
config I can read and edit. What's wrong with that?
--
Jimmy Johnson

Slackware64 Current - KDE 4.14.38 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263