:: Re: [DNG] How to unarchive an .xz
Author: blinkdog
To: Rick Moen
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] How to unarchive an .xz
On Saturday, October 20, 2018 5:16 PM, Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:
> Honestly, Adam's run-through was so close to being exhaustive and
> definitive as to be IMO sort of breathtaking. And thus appreciated by this
> correspondent.

+1, I also found that information very useful. In particular, that bzip2 should be deprecated and that xz is both better and faster than gzip at some setting were very useful to me.

> He didn't cover the antique Compress utility that gave us the .Z prefix,
> either, but c'mon. Computing history is littered with obsolete
> compression and archiving formats. I remember during the years when I
> was a BBS sysop / owner / operator in the 1980s and early 1990s, the
> DOS-oriented computing world went through a menagerie of such things:
> arc, pkzip, arj, and many others I'm trying hard to forget.

Ahhh yes, many others like .sit (Stuff-It, popular with Mac users) and .lha/.lzh (LHarc, popular with Amiga users), oh wait, you said you were trying to forget.

Patrick