:: Re: [DNG] How to test the backend o…
Author: Rowland Penny
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] How to test the backend of simple-netaid
On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 18:37:52 +0200
Antony Stone <Antony.Stone@???> wrote:

> On Friday 07 September 2018 at 17:59:39, Edward Bartolo wrote:

> > > Not at all :)
> >
> > Why are you in denial? Don't bother, you will not get a halo above
> > your head, but if you care, why don't you admit it?
>
> I think this is a linguistic misunderstanding - "Not at all" is a
> common and polite English way of saying "you're welcome" or "don't
> mention it" - basically a standard response to "thank you".

To add to the confusion, whilst 'Not at all' is said to be common, it
isn't where I come from, I have heard it, but not often. Our area of
England would probably just reply 'Thanks'.

> There's as much point in interpreting the phrase literally as there
> is with "how do you do?"

That's a dangerous one ;-)
In my area (and we would probably just say 'how do'), the reply would
be 'nots so bad' or 'well, apart from my (add area of body here), I
would be okay'. If the latter, a long discussion could ensue about
health ;-)

Best not to give responses on a mailing list in local phrases, most
people will not understand them.

> > Please, make an effort to grow up.
>
> I think that is a very unfriendly and unnecessary comment.

Yes, that was a bit uncalled for

Rowland