:: Re: [DNG] [devuan-dev] Fwd: Mainten…
Author: Joel Roth
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [devuan-dev] Fwd: Maintenance and Development of new Devuan Releases
Hi,

Edward Bartolo wrote:
> [RANT; if you hate rants, don't read it]
>
> Linux is getting exaspirating... It is not definitely the Linux I knew
> when I started using it back in 2006-2007. Like Windows, Linux is now
> allowing advertising to pass through, with the disadvantage of a
> nightmare whenever a package fails to install.
>
> I asked, supposedly on a development mailing list, but nobody knows
> how my problem can be solved! The only presented advice was to enable
> multiarch, something that I always did whenever I wanted wine. The
> problem is a library, libwine:i386, but that clashes with other
> packages.

Hi Edward,

First, although you didn't specify, I think your rant may be
about Debian/Devuan Linux as your reference to package
conflicts sounds specific to debian package management
system.

Yes, your issue sounds like some administration, some
hands-on required, in the complexities of the package
system, however I would assume this is well visited
territory and many people have succeeded in installing wine
under multiarch.

There is always some assembly required with Debian, compared
to Ubuntu.

> The uneasy feeling that the time to go back to my old days of using MS
> Windows is getting more frequent. Sorry, but a tool that cannot be
> used whenever the need arises is useless.

Sometimes you can't escape the engineering details,
in this case in the package system, with its dependency
graphs.

So you either take time to figure it out yourself, or hire
someone to help you, or find a Linux distribution where wine
is better integrated.

I'm not in love with all of debian's choices, but multiarch
is something amazing, and getting all the software from
volunteers paying nothing for it is freaking amazing.

Probably you are ranting, but consider soberly and you will
understand that for easy gratification, getting precompiled
software is pretty freaking awesome compared to compiling it
yourself.

I like gobolinux package system a lot more, but that is
irrelevent. The cumulative investment in creating packages
and providing repositories and infrastructure to deliver
debian/devuan/ubuntu/etc packages is enormous. I prefer to
install my own perl, but when I couldnt compile Tk, great to
have the debian package available.

> An elegant solution would be to build the wine, wine32, wine64
> executables to hold all the required libraries but climbing Olympus
> Mons on Mars without a spacesuite seems a lesser challenge.

Now that VMs are so available, it's worth fooling around
with various distributions to see how they handle wine and
multiarch.

When I was a kid, you had to reboot your system to try
another OS.

These days you can even install linux distributions on your
android phone.[1]

But you shouldn't have to jump ship to another linux
distribution or to windows, just face the weirdnesses of the
package dependency graph, or perhaps a requirement to
recompile something.

If you can reproduce the problematic behavior and describe it, a bug report is a
helpful contribution.

1. https://termux.com/