:: Re: [DNG] wicd interferes with regu…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] wicd interferes with regular network admin tools
On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 06:05:09AM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> Hi Devuan network users and adminstrators,
>
> I was recently suprised to observe network interfaces
> (wlan0 and eth0) going up without my issuing commands for
> it. I'd disable an interface, then see it go right back up.
>
> I somehow guessed that the culprit might be wicd, and
> confirmed that a wicd process was active. I never
> ran any of the wicd admin tools.
>
> The list of wicd features does not mention that it
> interferes with managing networks using net-tools or
> iproute2 commands.
>
> Is this a bug, or a documentation bug? Certainly, the
> behavior is less-than-awesome. If one wants to learn about
> networking on linux, or to administer a system using
> conventional command-line tools, one should know that wicd
> needs to be removed.
>
> Do net-tools and iproute2 need to warn against wicd?
> Should wicd warn that it disrupts administration via net-tools?
>
> I wonder if there is any parallel in how in linux we
> administer /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> Do you have any thoughts about clarifying how to expect the
> networking environment to work under linux?

Using ascii on my netbook here.

It has a socket for a wired ethernet, but so far I've been using wifi.
I've been using wicd to manage wifi. I'm finding wifi at home somewhat
unreliable.

It was more reliabe a few years ago before I moved to a condo; it's
entirely possible that the unreliablity is because of interference from
other wifis in other condos in the building.

My Raspberry pi, which runs Devuan ascii, has a wired link because I've
never ound the right wifi driver. But the wired link is quite reliable.

Last week I plugged the same wired ethernet cable into the netbook instead
of the Raspberry Pi. Wicd recognised it. But when asked it to turn
wifi off, it did that, but I was unable to get wicd to operate through
the wired ethernet.

I haven't yet had time to experiment further, and am entirely unsure if
I just don't know how to use wicd, or if wicd presents unusable
alternatives.

I'd *like* it to connect to the wired link if available, and otherwise
to wifi.

-- hendrik